EASY STEPS ON HOW TO MAKE SHEPHERD’S PIE
Shepherd’s pie is a popular English recipe, and it is made with mutton or lamb. However, most Americans prefer to make this pie with beef. In addition, several Australians, New Zealanders and Americans call this dish “cottage pie”. This baked recipe is typically a casserole variety, which includes vegetables, cooked meat, and mashed potatoes as toppings. Whether it is for lunch or dinner, this dish will surely appeal to you and the whole family. The dish comes with a delectable and appetizing taste that will satisfy your taste buds.
GUIDELINES FOR PREPARING THE RECIPE
This is a standard recipe for Shepherd’s Pie, which consists of ground beef and vegetables. You can also add Worcestershire sauce to give it a unique aroma. Moreover, you can turn it into a vegetarian dish by modifying the ingredients. For instance, you may use tofu or mushrooms as substitute for the meat products, and add more beans or vegetables. You have endless choices as for the type of alternative ingredients you can use instead of including beef or mutton in this dish.
The typical preparation time for this recipe is 10 minutes, and you should be able to serve this dish after 40 minutes of preparing and cooking. This particular recipe serves 4 to 6 people.
– 3 to 4 cups of mashed potatoes
– 3 strips of cooked bacon or 2 tablespoons of bacon fat
– 1 pound of ground beef or lamb meat
– 1 medium-sized onion, diced
– 2 cloves of peeled garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons of white flour
– 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce
– 1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary (crushed)
– 1 cup of beer or beef broth
– 2 medium-sized carrots, sliced
– 1 stalk of celery, diced
– 1 cup of peas, washed
– 1/2 cup of shredded Swiss or Cheddar cheese
1. Prepare the oven by preheating it to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Use a large (oven-safe) skillet to fry the bacon slices until cooked.
3. Add the garlic and onions and cook until brown and soft in texture.
4. Add in the ground meat and stir occasionally to prevent it from crumbling. Cook the meat for about 5 minutes until light brown in color.
5. Add the white flour and mix well until it has been absorbed by the meat.
6. Pour the tomato sauce and broth and add the rosemary, celery and carrots. Stir well.
7. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
8. Spread evenly the mashed potatoes on top, and add the grated cheese.
9. Bake for about 20 minutes until the cheese has turned light brown.
10. Let the dish cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
For an extraordinary appeal, you may sprinkle parsley or paprika after baking the dish. You will love the contrasting color and outstanding aroma of the pie when you add these herbs. If you wish, you may also choose to make fresh mashed potatoes for the recipe instead of leftover mashers. Just make sure that you leave the mashed potatoes at room temperature, so it is easy to spread this ingredient to the baked pie.