Puke Puke Recipe
Americans will think it’s a vomit concoction—it’s not. As for Filipinos, two things come in mind. Since it’s all about recipes, it’s not the other thing. Eggplants are abundant all over the world with dishes ranging from the French ratatouille, moussaka from the Greeks, the stuffed eggplant kimchee from Korea, among many delightful cuisines. Eggplants are versatile vegetables and they can be boiled, steamed, grilled or fried. The taste ranges from being bland to a pleasantly bitter which develops a complex and rich flavor when cooked.
While eggplant is widely used as an appetizer, puke puke (poo-keh poo-keh) is eaten with rice as most dishes are traditionally served as viands in the Philippine cuisine. This humble and nutritious dish can be served with almost any food any time of the day because of its simple amiable taste.
– 3 pcs eggplant, medium sized
– 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 3 tomatoes, chopped
– ¼ kilo of ground pork
– 2 eggs, beaten
– Salt and pepper
Step 1: Grill the eggplants until the skin can easily come off. Peel them with your hands once they are cool enough to handle. After which, mash and set them aside.
Step 2: With some oil, sauté garlic and onions. Once it fills the room with the familiar aroma, add the tomatoes and cook well. Season it with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Add the ground pork and wait until it browns.
Step 4: Mix in your mashed eggplants. Once incorporated well with the meat, blend in the eggs.
Step 5: Give the dish a taste and adjust your seasoning.
1. Depending on the Philippine region, the puke puke recipe will have different versions. Some provinces may add a few chillies and cup of coconut milk to this dish.
2. Another dish that features the same ingredients is the eggplant omelette where the eggs bind the whole dish together.
3. Vegetarians can take the meat out. It can also be replaced with beef, smoked fish and even shrimps.
4. Traditionally, most Philippine dishes are seasoned with soy sauce or fish sauce. A dash of fish sauce is surprisingly nice to the taste buds.
Incoming search terms:
- puke puke recipe
- puki puki recipe
- puke puke
- pukipuki recipe
- ilocano recipes
- how to cook pukepuke
- how to cook puke puke
- puki puki food
- puke-puke recipe
- ilocano food recipe