HOW TO MAKE SPANISH CHICKEN & RICE SOUP
Spanish chicken and rice soup can be made without very much work and with simple ingredients most of which you probably already have in your kitchen. Did you make a chicken dinner yesterday? You can take yesterday’s chicken and turn it into an excellent soup that tastes great and is healthy.
2 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, rinsed
4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1 large dehydrated onion, chopped
2 tablespoons white wine
½ cup cooked white rice
Sazon de Goya
One thing to point out when it comes to making this soup is that in addition to making the soup you will also have to make the chicken stock for the soup. Some might opt to buy the chicken stock at the store but this making it at home might be the preferable. After all, nothing tastes better than homemade soup.
MAKING THE CHICKEN STOCK
1. The rotisserie chicken must be completely deboned. All the tendons, dark meat, skin, and tendons and the commonly nonedible parts will be removed and placed in a large pot filled with about a dozen cups of water. The various cut pieces from the chicken will then be put in the pot of water. Turn on the stove to heat the pot. Return to the chicken and chop up the edible white and dark meat and place it aside.
2. Add to the pot a few small pinches – 3 to 5 – of garlic, dehydrated onion and kosher salt.
3. Allow the pot to cook on the stove for 30 minutes. Add a splash of white wine to the stock. Take off any cover from the pot and leave it on the stove for another 30 minutes.
4. Remove the pot from the stove and allow it to cool down. After it has cooled pour the stock through a strainer into a bowl. You may wish to strain it at least twice. Be sure there are no bones left in the pot.
MAKING THE CHICKEN SOUP
1. On a separate pot, pour in about four tablespoons of olive oil along with an entire packet of sofrito. Cook the contents and monitor them until the sofrito is about half cooked.
2. Add four cups of the chicken meat you originally separated from the rotisserie chicken that was not used in the stock. This can be white meat or dark meat depending upon your preference. Stir and mix the chicken with the olive oil and the sofrito. Allow the chicken to heat up a bit on the stove.
3. Pour in packet Sazon de Goya and mix it up with the chicken. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, add three cups of cooked rice to the mix and allow the rice to warm up.
4. Pour in the chicken stock gradually with continuous stirring. Don’t pour it all in at once! Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
5. Serve hot or let it cool down and place in the refrigerator for make-ahead meal.