HOW TO MAKE POT PIE
Encased in a flaky crust on the top as well as bottom, this savory meal is a great treat for cold evenings or a family get-together. Pot pies are traditional old-fashioned foods that are easy and simple to make and delicious to eat. These traditional foods are comfort foods that provide a hearty meal in a cozy, chilly winter. Pot pies are a perfect combination of different types of meats and vegetables in a sauce or gravy, which are then baked with a topping of pie crust. You can use wide variety of food items and toppings to make your own pot pies. Here is a great recipe for chicken pot pie that you can make yourself by using leftovers and other ingredients. You can substitute chicken with your choice of meat and vegetables.
TOTAL TIME: One hour (preparation time- 25 minutes; cooking time: 35 minutes)
To prepare the crust, you will need:
2 ¼ cups flour
2/3 cup shortening
½ cup water
For the filling, you will need:
4 cups cooked, chopped chicken (meat, turkey or only vegetables)
1 pound of vegetables of your choice (chopped carrots, kernel corn, peas, green beans, potatoes)
For your gravy:
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
½ cup flour
4 cups chicken bouillon or potato or vegetable soup in case of vegetable pot pie
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
1. Prepare the crust by mixing flour, salt and shortening in one large bowl. Add water and continue to roll until the dough is ready. Now, roll it out to make a large rectangle. Arrange the pie crust in to a 9 inch deep dish pie pan.
2. Now, prepare the filling for the pie. Put butter or margarine in a large sauce pan and let it melt. Add chopped onions and celery in to it. Once the onion turns light brown, add chicken and vegetables and gently sauté them.
3. Sprinkle the remaining flour on the top of the vegetables and stir it up completely. Pour bouillon or condensed potato soup in to the saucepan. Mix everything till the flour completely dissolves.
4. Add seasoning (chicken seasoning, pepper and salt) $ continue heating till it boils.
5. Pour the gravy mixture into a ungreased 9 inch pie pan. Spread it evenly in the pan and arrange the remaining dough on the top of this mixture. Make sure the filling is still hot while you place the dough onto it. This will make the filling of the pot pie tender and flaky.
6. Seal and trim your pot pie on the edges to give it a clean look. Make a slit in the centre of the pie.
7. Bake it in a 450-degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the top crust is golden brown and the gravy is bubbling inside the hot pie.
8. The best way to make sure the crust stays together is to keep it cool. So, let it stand for 10 to 20 minutes before serving. The above mentioned pot pie recipe will serve 8 to 12 people. Pot pie is a healthy, filling and satisfying recipe. Loved by both kids and adults, hot pot pie is a perfect choice in family get-togethers.