350g (12oz) plain flour
1 sachet Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
10ml (2tsp) ground ginger
2.5ml (½tsp) mixed spice
100g (3½oz) unsalted butter
175g (6oz) light brown sugar
45ml (3tbsp) golden syrup
1 large egg, beaten
Dr. Oetker Natural Lemon Extract
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F (170°C fan oven), gas mark 5. Line 3 large baking trays with baking parchment. Sift the flour, Bicarbonate of Soda, ginger and mixed spice into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fresh breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, and make a well in the centre.
2. Add the syrup and egg and carefully combine the wet and dry ingredients together until well mixed. Bring the mixture together to form a firm dough. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and pliable.
3. Roll out the dough to a thickness no greater than ½cm (¼”). Using a 5.5cm (2¼”) diameter round, flower or heart-shaped cutter – stamp out approximately 50 shapes, re-rolling the dough as necessary. Arrange the shapes on the prepared baking trays, prick lightly with a fork.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden and firm. Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. To decorate, place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sieve in the icing sugar, beating well after each addition, to make a smooth, spreadable icing. Add the Natural Lemon Extract and mix well. Sandwich the cookies together with lemon buttercream and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Makes: 25 Cookies