Chicken and rice soup is such a classic variety of dish that there are many different ways people have come up with on how to cook it. One of the most appealing is Chinese-style chicken rice soup. Some might be under the impression this is a difficult homemade soup to make since it may require purchasing many hard to find ingredients. That is actually not the case and the steps how to make Chinese-style rice soup with chicken and ginger is also fairly simple. Here’s how.
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
Asian chili paste
4 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
3 table spoons ginger, peeled and grated
3 scallions, thinly sliced
6 cups of water
4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1. Add six cups of water, four cups of chicken broth, and a half a cup of Arborio rice along with 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter into a slow cooker. Cover and cook over high heat until the rice is soft and soupy.
2. Usually, you will want to let it slowly cook for a full six hours. You definitely do not want to remove the contents from the slow cooker if the rice is still hard. You want the rice to be soft as this would be most appropriate for soup.
3. When the soup in the slow cooker is about done, you should take this as the cue to add up to three tablespoons of ginger and scallions. Stir them in and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Pour the contents of the soup into your serving bowls. Any extra soup can be put in a container and stored in the refrigerator. Top with shredded chicken and cilantro.
5. Add chili paste on the site if desired. Serve while hot.
Makes six to eight servings.